Thursday, September 18, 2008

Tales From The Past pt.2

I think now would be a good time finish up my psychoanalytical examination of my life that has contributed to my obsession for coupons, rebates, and thrifty shopping.

As I ended the last “Tales From The Past” post, when my mom handled the shopping, I wasn’t involved very much in the process. She was smart enough to not allow me to unleash the power of the “nag effect.” I know she shopped between the stores in town and occasionally made runs to Aldi to stock up. We also had own our garden and would can various vegetables. I can vividly recall canning tomatoes and making our own salsa. (I guess that is why paying attention to canned foods was of importance to my “dad.”) Although I was too young to really make an accurate “rich/poor” distinction, I am relatively sure we were poor and we definitely less well-off than in my middle school years. Then again, maybe elementary aged bodies just naturally function better with cheap, low quality foods. Now that I think about it, I do recall my mom having a coupon pouch. To what degree she was able to master the art, I can not recall. Nonetheless, she did not directly influence my passion for coupons or rebates.

No comments: