Thursday, September 18, 2008

Tales From The Past pt. 3

We are approaching the part in the “Tales From The Past” series that actually explains how I initially became a rebate junkie.

During middle school, grocery shopping days occasionally switched to Mondays. It seems the library was wise enough not to be open on Sunday. Thus shifting grocery shopping to Monday gave my "dad" something to do while I checked out massive stacks of books from the library that I never actually read or returned on time. I was usually sad I missed out on the shopping trips, but for the most part he could be trusted to fulfill my requests for a half-dozen boxes of Fruit-By-The-Foot and some Eskimo Pies. Nonethlesss, I eventually abandoned the library to return to grocery shopping to ensure I got all my desired personal items.

As I am sure you could imagine, as an adolescent, I had teenage “unmentionables” that I needed and didn’t exactly what to openly request or buy with the pops standing over my shoulder. Thus I would make a sidetrip to an adjacent store to discretely buy the teenage “you-knows.”

Okay, perhaps that part of the tale was just to make you squirm, but all awkwardness aside, there are just some things that are best bought at a discount wholesaler (ie. Target, Walmart, K-Mart) than a grocery store due to lower prices and increased selections.

It is this pattern of venturing to nearby stores that first introduced me the practice of rebating.

No comments: